The regiment mobilized the '14th (Active) Canadian Hussars, CASF' for active service on 26 January 1941. It was converted to armour and redesignated: '8th Reconnaissance Battalion (14th Canadian Hussars), CASF' on 11 February 1941; '8th Reconnaissance Regiment (14th Canadian Hussars), CAC, CASF' 8 June 1942; and '8th Reconnaissance Regiment (14th Canadian Hussars), RCAC, CASF' on 2 August 1945. The unit was formed from personnel of the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division in England and reinforcements from Canada. It landed in France on 7 July 1944 as part of the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division, where it fought in North-West Europe until the end of the war. The overseas regiment was disbanded on 15 December 1945.